The 2022 ACC/AHA/HFSA Guideline for the Management of Heart Failure increases the focus on preventing HF, updates treatment strategies for people with symptomatic heart failure to include SGLT-2 inhibitor (SGLT2i) medicines and emphasizes care coordination with a heart failure specialty team. The guideline also offers recommendations for managing cardiac amyloidosis, cardio-oncology complications, comorbidities in the setting of heart failure, as well as consideration for implantable devices and advanced therapies for people with stage D heart failure.
Supplemental resources to help you apply the guidelines to your practice are available to download below.
2022 ACC/AHA/HFSA Guideline for the Management of Heart Failure
Paul A. Heidenreich, MD, MS, Chair Biykem Bozkurt, MD, PhD, Vice Chair David Aguilar, MD, MSC, Larry A. Allen, MD, MHS, et. al. J Card Fail. 2022 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2022.02.010 Published April 2022
WASHINGTON and DALLAS (April 1, 2022) — A new joint guideline published today from the American College of Cardiology, the American Heart Association, and the Heart Failure Society of America, increases the focus on preventing heart failure (HF) in people who are showing early signs of “pre-heart failure,” and updates treatment strategies for people with symptomatic heart failure to include SGLT-2 inhibitor (SGLT2i) medicines. The guideline also offers recommendations for managing cardiac amyloidosis, cardio-oncology complications, comorbidities in the setting of heart failure, as well as consideration for implantable devices and advanced therapies for people with stage D heart failure....
2022 American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association/Heart Failure Society of America Guideline for the Management of Heart Failure: Executive Summary
J Card Fail. 2022
These top 10 take-home messages outline the most critical points that providers need to know to apply the new guideline in practice. Download a PDF version, a powerpoint version, or watch the editors of the Journal of Cardiac Failure (JCF) review the Top Ten Take-Aways.
This discussion was streamed live to the HFSA Twitter and YouTube on Tuesday, April 5 at 6:00 PM ET. Participants included:
- Mark Drazner, MD, MSc - Discussion Moderator, Writing Committee Member and HFSA President 2021-2022
- Biykem Bozkurt, MD, PhD - Writing Committee Member
- Paul A. Heidenreich, MD, MS - Writing Committee Member
- Anuradha Lala, MD - Deputy Editor, Journal of Cardiac Failure
- Robert Mentz, MD - Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Cardiac Failure
- Orly Vardeny, PharmD, MS - Writing Committee Member
The editorial team of the Journal of Cardiac Failure (JCF) has developed a series of videos discussing key points of the guideline from different perspectives. Click the URL below to access the full series on the JCF YouTube channel. Videos included*:
- Recommendations for Diagnosis & Treatment of Cardiac Amyloidosis by Dr. Sauer
- Perspective for the General Cardiologist
- Advanced HF w/Dr. Jesus Alvarez-Garcia
- Revised Stages of HF with Dr. Blumer & Dr. Youmans
- Increased Filling Pressures with Dr. Emer Joyce
- Value Statements with Dr. Randy Starling
- HF with Improved EF with Dr. Colleen McIlvennan
- The Pharmacist's Take - with Brett Rollins
*As of April 12, 2022
Check back soon for more information!
CardioNerds (Amit Goyal, Daniel Ambinder) and special co-host Dr. Mark Belkin, join the Journal of Cardiac Failure Family to discuss the 2022 AHA/ACC/HFSA Guideline for The Management of Heart Failure. The JCF Editor-In-Chief Dr. Robert Mentz, Deputy Editor Dr. Anu Lala, and FIT editors — Dr. Vanessa Bluemer, Dr. Ashish Corrhea, and Dr. Quinton Youmans — share their hot takes and practical takeaways from the guidelines.