Click below to learn about actions HFSA has taken.
- HFSA commented on the proposed Medicare national coverage memorandum for Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair (TMVR), urging that coverage with evidence development (CED) be maintained, and, citing the risk to patient access and safety, opposing a proposal to remove the current CED for transcatheter edge-to-edge repair (TEER) for both DMR and FMR. (July 2020)
- HFSA commented on the 2020 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS) proposed rule, expressing support for the proposal to revise payment for E/M services and responding to proposals to create new codes for Principal Care Management (PCM) services and increase utilization of chronic care management (CCM) and transitional care management (TCM) services (September 2019)
- HFSA commented on the 2019 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS) proposed rule, expressing concerns about the proposed new payment structure for E/M services (September 2018)
- HFSA commented on the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) Draft Guidance for Industry on Treatment for Heart Failure: Endpoints for Drug Development commending the Agency for considering patient-centered metrics as part of the approval process (August 2019)
- HFSA wrote in support of the Research Investment to Secure the Economy (RISE) Act, H.R. 7308, introduced by Reps. Diana DeGette (D-CO) and Fred Upton (R-MI) which would authorize $10 billion for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to support federally funded research stalled by COVID-19 (June 2020)
- HFSA Research Network members reported that their clinical research site has experienced changes in staffing including furloughs, reallocating staff to COVID studies, requiring personal time off, and remote working.
- 180 bipartisan Members of Congress sent a letter to House leadership urging that $26 billion for research impacted by the pandemic be included in the next COVID relief package include $26 billion in funding to support research activities (April 2020)
- HFSA members, through the Heart Failure Collaboratory, published a Statement on Clinical Trials in the Landscape of COVID-19 in JACC: Heart Failure specifically addressing heart failure clinical trials and outlining a number of guiding principles and possible trial conduct solutions for the COVID- 19 pandemic (May 2020)
- HFSA wrote to the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee in advance of its hearing titled “Telehealth Lessons Learned During the COVID-19 Pandemic” to share HFSA’s statement of virtual visits and the experience of HFSA members with telehealth during the public health emergency (June 2020)
- HFSA members authored Virtual Visits for Care of Patients with Heart Failure in the Era of COVID-19: A Statement from the Heart Failure Society of America which is published in the Journal of Cardiac Failure (June 2020)
- HFSA joined with other stakeholders in writing to Congress urging that critical telehealth reforms extended during the public health emergency are made permanent (June 2020)
- Haider J. Warraich, MD, a member of HFSA’s Advocacy Committee, authored an op-ed in the LA Times titled “As a doctor, I use telemedicine. With the coronavirus threat, it could revolutionize healthcare” (March 2020)
Health on the Hill Weekly Podcast
Health on the Hill provides updates on current happenings in health care in the federal government… Capitol Hill, the White House and the agencies.
Health Policy Weekly Newsletter
The newsletter is provided by HFSA consultants Hart Health Strategies Inc. and recaps federal policy activity of the previous week and previews the week ahead. It alerts you to federal policy activity on Capitol Hill, including upcoming congressional hearings, newly introduced bills, regulatory announcements, and implementation actions.