Exploring Complementary and Alternative Medicines
Nosheen Reza, MD, join co-hosts Michael Beasley, MD, and Priya Umapathi, MD, to discuss complementary and alternative meds in the treatment of HF. On HF Rounds, Michael reviews three recent publications from the Journal of Cardiac Failure, including an overview of the new Temporary Mechanical Circulatory Support guidelines, and Priya gives a brief take-away from EMPA-KIDNEY and novel transcatheter edge-edge repair (TEER) agents on "From Failure to Function."
Michael Beasley, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Yale New Haven Hospital @MHBeasleyMD
Priya Umapathi, MD, Assistant Professor in the Division of Cardiology & Advanced Heart Failure and Heart Transplant Cardiologist at Johns Hopkins Hospital @priyaumapathi
Nosheen Reza, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine at Penn Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Health System @noshreza
- The International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation/Heart Failure Society of America Guideline on Acute Mechanical Circulatory Support
Originally published 6 Feb 2023 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2022.11.003 Journal of Cardiac Failure (2023)
- A New Norm for Early Career Advanced Heart Failure Clinicians
Nikhil Narang MD , Nosheen Reza MD
Originally published 24 Jan 2023 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2022.12.015 Journal of Cardiac Failure (2023)
- Empagliflozin in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease
Originally published 12 Jan 2023 https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa2204233 N Engl J Med 2023; 388:117-127
- A Roadmap to Reinvigorating Training Pathways Focused on the Care of Patients with Heart Failure: Shifting from Failure to Function
Vanessa Blumer MD , Michelle M. Kittleson MD PhD , John R. Teerlink MD , Mark H. Drazner MD MSc , Mary N. Walsh MD , Eiran Z. Gorodeski MD MPH , Robert J. Mentz MD , Anuradha Lala MD
Originally published 04 Jan 2023 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2022.12.009 Journal of Cardiac Failure (2022)
- Randomized Comparison of Transcatheter Edge-to-Edge Repair for Degenerative Mitral Regurgitation in Prohibitive Surgical Risk Patients
Lim D, Smith R, Gillam L, et al.
Originally published 15 Dec 2022 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2022.09.005 J Am Coll Cardiol Intv. 2022 Dec, 15 (24) 2523–2536.
- Complementary and Alternative Medicines in the Management of Heart Failure: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association
Sheryl L. Chow, Biykem Bozkurt, William L. Baker et al
Originally published 8 Dec 2022 https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000001110 Circulation. 2023;147:e4–e30