On this episode, host Dr. Kevin Shah discusses with three expert clinicians (Dr. Eileen Hsich, Dr. Ersilia DeFilippis, & Dr. Kathleen Faulkenberg) the impact of marijuana use for our patients being considered or who have undergone heart transplantation. The discussants review the evolving literature and changing landscape of recreational as well as medicinal marijuana and the potential impact on drug interactions, adherence, and outcomes after heart transplantation.
- Dr. Eileen Hsich, Heart Transplant Medical Director, Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio @Dr_Eileen_Hsich
- Dr. Kathleen Faulkenberg, Cardiology Clinical Pharmacist Coordinator, University of Kentucky HealthCare @kdfaulkenberg
- Dr. Ersilia M. DeFilippis, Cardiology Fellow, Columbia University Irving Medical Center, in New York, New York @ersied727
- Caroline Olt , Kathleen D Faulkenberg , Eileen M Hsich The growing dilemma of legalized cannabis and heart transplantationJ Heart Lung Transplant.2021 Apr 10;S1053-2498(21)02265-8. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2021.03.024.
- Mehra MR, Canter CE, Hannan MM, et al.: The 2016 International Society for Heart Lung Transplantation listing criteria for heart transplantation: A 10-year update. J Heart Lung Transplant 2016;35:1-23.
- Chih S, McDonald M, Dipchand A, et al.: Canadian Cardiovascular Society/Canadian Cardiac Transplant Network Position Statement on Heart Transplantation: Patient Eligibility, Selection, and Post-Transplantation Care. Can J Cardiol 2020;36:335-56.
- DeFilippis EM, Givertz MM: Marijuana use and candidacy for heart transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant 2019;38:589-92.
- Page RL, 2nd, Allen LA, Kloner RA, et al.: Medical Marijuana, Recreational Cannabis, and Cardiovascular Health: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association. Circulation 2020;142:e131-e52.
- DeFilippis EM, Bajaj NS, Singh A, et al.: Marijuana Use in Patients With Cardiovascular Disease: JACC Review Topic of the Week. J Am Coll Cardiol 2020;75:320-32.