Health Literacy and Care of The Patient with Heart Failure: A Fact Sheet
What is Health Literacy?
Health literacy is the degree to which individuals obtain,
process and understand basic health information and to make
appropriate health care decisions.
Download a copy (PDF 71 KB).
In this health literacy fact sheet you will find information on:
- What is health literacy?
- Basic facts about heath literacy in the U.S.
- Do provider perceptions contribute to the problem of health literacy?
- What are the consequences of limited health literacy?
- What risk factors are associated with limited health literacy
- What are some strategies for healthcare providers
- What is being done about all patients with limited health literacy?
- What tools are available to assess health literacy
- How do you test readability of existing tools and educational materials?
- Examples of evidence-based research supporting patient interventions in heart failuire